Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Was taking inventory of my house last night, as I was feeling the onset of a head cold--my house could be a thrift, really. So many things I've bought or that have been given to me or that came from yard sales. Particularly in my closet. I have a friend, Marie, who is the queen of yard sales. I am the queen of thrift. Guess that's a cliche, but at least I am able to admit to it. I take sheer delight in having purchased a kelly green linen designer jacket from Macy's with the price tags still on it for $7, when the original price was $89. Or $2 for a brand new pair of Easy Spirit brown leather sandals.

It could be a sickness . . . thrifting. But I think about how much waste happens in this city, and that somehow I am recyling some small part of that waste. And then I think it might be okay . . . there was an article in the New York Times Magazine about three or four weeks ago about Goodwill's success financially and in attracting customers. Going to try and post a link to it soon . . . speaks to some of my own ideas. Don't think I am alone in this . . .

No comments: